Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My new favorite drink...

Pedialyte. Have had a busy week and a half. Got some good workouts in, and some good rides. Last Saturday I went out to Blue Mounds for an off-rode biking event that involved riders going around a circuit (I guess it was about 8 or 9 miles) as many times as possible in 12, 6, or 3 hours. It was 90 degrees that day. And humid. I didn't ride but my boyfriend did, and when I got there at 4:30 in the afternoon, he was in his 6th lap. He'd been riding since 8 a.m. He didn't return until a little after 5:00 and he was a mess. My brother who does the firefighter combat challenges had told me that the best thing when training hard in adverse conditions is pedialyte---better than any of the sports drinks or anything, so that's what I had. I'm so glad I had it too, because DB was drenched with sweat, shaking, and kept starting to fall asleep. Lesson learned----just because I'm sweating doesn't mean I'm not heading for trouble. I went out the next day for a bike ride (another humid 90 degree day but I went around 7:00 p.m.). I took a bottle filled with pedialyte and diluted with water (70/30) and I can't tell you how much less stressed my system felt! I rode my usual circuit which is about 35 miles. I'm hooked! Try sipping it instead of straight water especially now that you all are living in such hot climates.

Heading to the gym for FIT this afternoon. Stay strong!

2 comments:

amber said...

pedialyte is great for replentishing electrolytes, much better than Gatorade, etc. I've never had it, but I've heard that children hate it. That makes me think that it would taste gross, but if you're hooked it can't be that bad!

madison said...

I'll just say that the slight syrupy taste it leaves on my tongue is well worth how energized I feel...