Sunday, March 18, 2007

burpee extravaganza!

Yesterday I did as many burpee variations as I could think of (20 of each):
wall pushout
reverse wall
donkey kick
lateral hop over cable
lateral position (to side-thinker instead of prone thinker @ bottom)
reverse burpee (similar to deck squats)
burpee to box jump
with pushup
with pullup
one arm
one leg

(many of these variations are shown at BodyWeightCulture)

Then I was tired, so I stopped!

I did do my daily PW curls, kneeling mountain and supine bridge. My hip flexors are still so tight! I need to fix them, but I'm not sure what I'm doing is working.

4 comments:

K-Smash said...

That's awesome! The only one that I still don't really get is the reverse, that's like a deck squat...how is it different than a deck squat? I know you've explained this to me before...

The one to a lateral plank sounds like the hardest to me. Well, actually, no, the one with a pullup, because I still suck at pullups....

amber said...

The only thing you'd add to a deck squat is a jump at the end. Its not really a burpee, except you go down to the ground and then up.

For pullups, I did get to jump . . . makes it easier!

The laterals were hard, and today my obliques hurt quite a bit . . . might be from those. I left 2 hands on the ground, though, making balancing more doable.

ps: hope the castle wedding was fun! And your day off was well-deserved, judging from the workouts you lined up for yourself last week!

madison said...

Wow! Good workout. Sounds intense... For hip flexors, I've been working with the same poses as you. I've also been tuning into my actions as I'm walking, really working at lengthening my hip flexor (within normal walking range of course) as I walk or stand. So, I'm talking about deliberately applying the actions of the pose to my movement from time to time. I can feel a difference. Also, when I go swimming, I always do at least 5 laps with just the kickboard overhead and lying on my back doing flutter kick with a strong downward action at the heel and pulling forward again from the hip. It feels like (based on next day soreness) it's hitting the right muscles, hip flexors and upper hamstring. Keep with it!

amber said...

ooh, I like the sound of that swimming exercise. If I can convince myself to get into a swimsuit I may give it a try!