Friday, May 11, 2007

Fitness for the Suburban Jungle

Getting ready to go out of town for about 5 days for a conference, and need to get the flowering garlic mustard out of the ground before seeds form. Have been pulling weeds for 6 hours. Basically, this workout invovles, varying degrees of a low squat combined with forward flexion... Oh, I forgot about the hauling---bags filled with weeds, too big for a d-ball carry, more like a d-ball drag. My ass really hurts, and as you know, that's a LOT of hurt. I'll check in while I'm on the road, my workout is what helps me stay sane. Jumping rope, running, biking, it's all so much more fun than pulling weeds, but I couldn't have done as much as I did without it!

5 comments:

K-Smash said...

You really make me laugh..." as you know, that's a LOT of hurt." You're awesome.

So your yard must be pretty big, eh? And flowering garlic mustard must be that invasive weed, right? It sounds like something that I would want to eat, but that's probably a bad idea...I should look it up. Wild nettles and stinging nettles are good to eat. Mmmmmm, I wonder if nettles grow down here. You know what I really miss are ramps. I love ramps. I would get them at the Dane County Farmer's Market every spring and make a really yummy risotto with them. Ramps are sooooooooo tasty! If you haven't tried them, make sure to watch for them at the Farmers Market or Willy St. Coop and try them. Alright, I'm making myself hungry...

K-Smash said...

HEY! Garlic mustard IS edible! I'll bet its good. I'll bet if you add it to a brown rice risotto or make a soup with it (following a nettle soup recipe) that it would be really good. Now there's a way to take advantage of your weed problem...

I read that the leaves and flowers are edible, and taste best when picked young. They can be eaten cooked or raw, and do have a flavor similar to both garlic and mustard.

amber said...

sounds like a hell of a workout; thats why we stay fit right :) to do that insane yardwork stuff.

i remember your love of ramps K-smash. I tried them, they have a good flavor. I should pick more up at the farmers market, if theyre in season. I can't remember.

K-Smash said...

They should be in season now! Yum!

madison said...

Yes, there are many recipes for garlic mustard, but I'm holding off on any adventures in cooking until after I have the situation under control. Also, maybe once the GM is less prevalent, the ramps that DO grow in the back yard will spread. I love em too!