Friday, August 03, 2007

Whatever!

So, the day after my last post, all sunny and upbeat, I went for a bikeride and had a collision with a bee. It got trapped between the strap of my bike helmet and my jaw. Much stinging and swearing ensued. Oh, I was flying down a hill, so at the bottom, I was able to brake and rip off my helmet and gently find and remove the stinger. Remember what I said about my allergies last year being so much worse? Good thing I take all those antihistamines! I usually don't have an immediate reaction to bee stings (I've been stung twice before). Instead, wherever I've been stung hurts like hell for about 12 hours, then begins to itch, and then about a day and a half to 2 days later, heaving swelling sets in. By the end of the day on Tuesday the rights side of my face from the top of my cheek to 1/3 of my neck was swollen and itched like crazy. Yes, I was using ice. Yes, I was taking every antihistamine I had a prescription for including the ones I had been able to stop months ago. Finally a couple hits of prednisone and I'm out of the freakishly deformed face zone and back in the puffy but presentable zone. The main swelling happened on the anniversary of my divorce (2 years and counting) so I'm just assuming that stress had something to do with the reaction. I need to start doing yoga daily, not just for my overall fitness, but because I need some way of processing the stress that journaling, talking, breathing, doesn't seem to get to.

On the bright side, I've had a few lovely, easygoing workouts this past week made up of bike rides without bee stings and a slow run for about 4 miles. Today I'm going to the noon workout and I'll let you know how it went. Be strong ladies!!!

3 comments:

amber said...

yipes! I'd probably have added a bike crash into that mix, so you're doing pretty well getting the bike stopped and the helmet off!

i like yoga, and although I can't find time for it daily it certainly helps whatevers ailing me ;)

K-Smash said...

OMG! Wow! I second that I would have crashed my bike for sure. I still have a scar on my knee about the size of a quarter from a bike crash that occured, oh, about 25 years ago. :) Nice job staying upright!

So I have this client that you MUST meet. You and her are birds of a feather. I've told her about you and she's really hoping you'll come down to Austin sometime soon. She LOVES, LOVES, LOVES high energy yoga. You need a vacation! Come to Austin! There's already people waiting to meet you! :D

madison said...

Let's e-mail soon about when. One of my post-break-up hurdles has involved going out of town not to see family on my own for a vacation not for work. I finally bought a ticket to see a friend in New York. You are next on my list!