Sunday, October 08, 2006

A couple good workouts and a rant

Tonight DH and I went to the track and did a spring pyramid. We warmed up with line drills, then sprinted: 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m. We took a short rest inbetween every sprint to walk to the starting point of the next sprint. We ran a couple of them in the opposite direction on the track to balance out the muscles working on the curve. I was really mad at myself after the 400m, but DH said, "Sweety, this is a crazy workout. You're tough. You can do it." He really kept me going.

Friday I did the MBG online WOD, but I added a couple more exercises. I warmed up with JR 150's, so during the workout I substituted mountain climbers for the minute of JR. Then I added on a minute of situps, and as I promised, thinker. I used my KBs for everything (except pushups and PW stuff, of course). I felt pleasantly sore the following day. :)


So here's my rant - completely unrelated...I am really sick of companies trying to make money off of people by tricking them into thinking that the products are healthier than they really are. I am not a soda drinker, but when I had the flu a couple weeks ago, DH bought some 7-up for me. The label states "Now 100% natural." However, when I read the ingredients, ingredient #2 was high fructose corn syrup. Since when is HFCS natural???? HFCS is soooooo bad for you. I hate it. So I wrote 7-up a nice little letter telling them that I think their label is misleading and thus unethical.

DH has been working really, really long hours lately, and so I picked up a couple instant soup cups for him to keep at work. They are by Fantastic Foods, which is a company that makes natural convenience foods like hummus, falafel, couscous, and soup mixes. Their target customer is obviously someone who is more concerned about health. So I start reading the label, and what ticks me off about this product is the insane amount of salt they add. Using the standard 2000 calorie a day diet, the caloric value of the soup is 8% of your daily intake. The sodium content, however, is 30% of the maximum allowance for sodium. Is it just me, or is this just ridiculous? Anyone can pick up a salt shaker and add salt if they really think it needs it...but if there is already too much salt, there's no way to take it out. So I wrote Fantastic Foods a nice little email too. If enough people comment on things like this, maybe they'll improve their products...so read your labels, and if something could or should be improved, write the company!!

Well, that's it for now. Be strong, ladies!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

who are you crazy women!? and how do you kick such ass?

madison said...

K-Smash!!! I am laughing with delight at your approach to life---fight for power and justice and ethical labeling of foods! You make the world a better place everyday!!

Tough Chick said...

You go K-Smash!!! I agree completely. I often notice that labels say "all natural" but contain HFCS or a list of chemicals and additives that I have never heard of. How is that all natural?

K-Smash said...

Yep...well, they'll never know how we feel unless we voice our opinions!!

To Anonymous - we're a group of ladies trained by one of the best trainers and motivators ever - Jon Hinds. If you have a chance to go to the Monkey Bar, check it out!

amber said...

I like the sound of that track workout. I may try that at the Shell this weekend.

I agree with the high fructose corn syrup rant! Its not really natural. But very little that is packaged and sold is, I guess.