Monday, October 23, 2006

So this is what's up...

Today I ran 3 miles. Yesterday I took off. Saturday I spent the entire day hiking with DH - up, over, and around Enchanted Rock.










I was so depressed and discouraged last week, that I didn't really want to get into details. Anyway, I feel like I've been given an ultimatum. Basically, a couple weeks ago I was told, "If you really want this job, you need to weigh less than xxx lbs." When I joined the MBG in 2004, my weight dropped from about 180 to 160 and then stayed there. I played tackle football in the NWFA at about 165 lbs, and ran my marathon at about 160 lbs (but with much, much, much less muscle). At my very worst, while writing my thesis in grad school, I could have weighed up to 190... Of course, I wouldn't make it an issue if my (hopefully) future employer didn't make it an issue. So anyway, now I am jumping through yet another hoop. I'm eating nutrient rich, trying to get enough protein every day, but simultaneously tracking and limiting my calories. I've been averaging 1200 calories a day, while consuming large quantities of tasty veggies. I just have this fear that I am going to lose muscle too, but if I keep training and keep making sure that I get protein, that shouldn't happen, right? This morning, the scale was just under 155 lbs. So, progress... So the plan for tomorrow is a run and a hard strength-training workout and 1500 calories.



I made Dr. Fuhrman's anti-cancer soup on Sunday. I like it, except I cut the quantity of carrots in half and it's still too sweet. And I didn't use the celery (the pots were too full already and I don't have a juicer). Its a little bland, but I have a nice selection of Penzey's spices to make each bowl different. I've had it with curry powder and aleppo pepper, zatar, and tomorrow I am going to try Italian herbs. I think it would also taste good with chili powder and adobo seasoning.
Well, I'll need you girls to kick my butt when I come back next month. :D I'm looking forward to that. Be strong!




3 comments:

madison said...

Sounds like you're doing great k-smash! I think it is important to recognize that the reaction to this "ultimatum," and all the irrationality around that, separate from your mindful and healthy approach to your training. If a lighter you is what they want, you can deliver that easily. C., who does boxing, bjj, etc. at the gym is about our size and build but has to get down to 135 for competitions because in women's fighting there are basically 2 classes, 135 and under and then everyone else. She is doing a lot of running and jump rope. You have a good foundation of strength that you can count on. For the next few weeks, focus on getting lean rather than building muscle. Once you've passed this hoop, you'll be able to train how you like. Bon courage!

amber said...

Wow, thats crazy! I don't even want to know their reasoning for wanting you down in weight. At any rate, as BBG said, it can be done. Especially knowing your drive and focus.

K-Smash said...

Yeah, as frustrating as it is, I want the job badly enough to jump through whatever hoops they want me too. Even if the hoops are on fire. :) My weight is steadily decreasing by small increments, so I just need to pay attention to how I feel...make sure I take in all the necessary nutrients (like iron!!!) and make sure that I can still hit all my numbers with pushups, situps, and everything else.

It will sure be interesting to come back and train with you guys...at that point, I will have been on this calorie restriction for a few weeks...so I wonder how that will affect my performance.

I really hope I'm not losing muscle!!