Monday, October 16, 2006

"DH" stands for "Dear Husband"

Too many people have asked who this DH guy is, that I am working out with all the time...it's my dear, sweet husband!

Saturday evening before dinner, I did do pushups and situps. Three rounds of 15 pushups and 30 situps...then my sister-in-law and I made this awesome dinner...I'll have to post the recipe, because it was soooo good.

Sunday, DH and I went for a 3 mile walk together, at a nice, brisk pace.

Today, I ran three miles. Then I did a card deck workout with hindu pushups, body rows, stability ball curls, and v-ups. The v-ups seemed too easy at first, so I slowed them down, and then for some sets, I did slow tucks instead (with my hands in the air, not on the floor). After I was done with the card deck, I did 60 situps. The hindu pushups were by far the most difficult part of the workout...I really need to do those more often.

OK, here's that recipe...we made an enchilada casserole. I was going to make enchiladas, but the tortillas were way too small, and the ratio of tortilla to filling would have been too great.

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, baked and shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
12 to 16 oz fresh spinach
8 to 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
minced garlic
1 to 1.25 lbs tomatillos
1 bunch cilantro, washed and leaves picked off stems
1 lb fire roasted Hatch chilis or roasted Anaheim chilis - seeded and peeled
12 to 18 corn tortillas

Sauce: Peel and destem the tomatillos. Boil them for about 10 minutes, until tender. Combine tomatillos, cilantro, 1/4 cup onion, the chilis, some minced garlic, and maybe some chicken broth or water in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Saute the rest of the onions and mushrooms until tender. Add the spinach and continue to saute just until the spinach wilts. Add some minced garlic and the shredded chicken and mix well.

Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Place a layer of tortillas down in the pan. Spread the chicken-spinach mixture over the tortillas. Cover with another layer of tortillas. Pour the sauce over the top of the tortillas. You can put some cheese on top if you want. I put sharp cheddar on part of it for DH and his sister, and left the rest plain. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

I baked the chicken in a little organic chicken broth with cumin and chili powder on it. The amounts of ingredients can all be easily adjusted...I pretty much made the recipe up anyway.

I hope you ladies had a good weekend! Be strong!

1 comment:

madison said...

Sounds delish! I'll give it a try this week.