Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Grrr, grrr, grrr!!!

Did the 5x5 workout today. I felt weak and tired, and started getting very negative. I used the 40 lb PPU for 4 sets of the pushups and a 25 lb sandbag on my back for the last set. Probably could've gone heavier. Had DH help me do regular chins. He had to help me a lot. Used my 12 kg KBs for the foot-up lunges and the one-leg deadlifts. I am definitely feeling sore and tired from my other workouts this week, but I don't think I should be sore and tired, so its pissing me off. At least I didn't quit; I'm happy about that.

Oh well. Here's a delicious recipe I made this week...DH likes it as a side-dish, and I like it as a dessert.

Carrot Halva
12 oz carrots, shredded
1.25 cups milk (any kind - soy, nut, oat, dairy...doesn't matter, as long as it heats well).
4-6 green cardamom pods, cracked
0.25 cups sweetener - honey, sugar, sucanat, whatever your preference...
handful of sliced almonds (or pistachios)
small handful of raisins (optional)

Steam or microwave the carrots until soft. Put the milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the carrots and cardamom, and simmer until most of the milk is absorbed, about 30 minutess, stirring frequently. Add honey (or sugar or whatever) and cook another 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in nuts and raisins. Serve warm or at room temperature.

If you aren't used to strong spices, pick out the cardamom pods and seeds before serving or eating, because they are a bit strong if you bite into them. If you eat a lot of spicy food, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I went walking outside for quite a while today, and took about 150 pictures. Here's a few of them.



Weather like this really is a novelty here. There were plenty of people outside playing and taking pictures. I saw one of my neighbors getting ice off his car with a hammer...another neighbor using a wooden kitchen spoon...and yet another using a kitchen spatula. Another of my neighbors was walking around with a video camera. Of course, then there's me...taking 150 pictures, so whatever...







2 comments:

madison said...

Hey K-smash!! Some days are just harder, mentally, physically, whatever. Maybe it's a signal to take a day off. I wouldn't advocate that if you were erratic about your workouts, but you are not. Think about it, we are constantly regenerating/replacing most of our cells. There is continuity in this process, but that doesn't mean that literally as well as metaphorically we are always dealing with a "new" body. The feeling of sameness or familiarity with ourselves or our bodies is different from the "truth" of whether things are the same. A little philosophy on a bitterly cold day. Again. with more snow.

K-Smash said...

You know, you're right. I need to stop comparing myself to other people to the point of obsession and listen to my body more. I'm hard on myself because I think, "so-and-so could do this", "so-and-so wouldn't need a day off", "so-and-so can do full chin-ups" or "so-and-so can run 8 minute miles." And that just snowballs into something ugly...

So today I am taking off, and tomorrow I will kick myself in the butt (in a good way!).