Monday, January 29, 2007

Should have been a rest day....

Wow...when I started training this morning, I quickly realized that today should've been a rest day. Yesterday afternoon I went for a 3 mile run...tried to keep it at an easy pace, but my ego kept nagging me to go faster. So this morning, the workout was a circuit of rowing machine, box jumps, squats to presses, pushpresses, and sumo high pulls; after the circuit, a quick 800 m run. I felt like a total wimp. I just couldn't push myself. I did workouts with different groups in the last few days, so I ended up repeating a lot of shoulder presses, which I think wiped me out.

So, during the workout I kept telling myself, "Obviously tomorrow will have to be a rest day." However, after the workout, I found myself thinking, "You know, you didn't work as hard as you should have...so today should count as your rest day." Ugh!!!!!!!!

BBG, you know this happens to all of us. You need a change - something to totally reset yourself. Maybe a vacation, or a new goal, or a new schedule... Maybe you need to write out a plan for the next month, put it on poster board, put it up in your house, and just do whatever it says everyday, no matter how you feel. Maybe you should consider taking a totally fun class - a cooking class, or a pottery class, or a new sport? Maybe you should go on a real vacation. Or maybe you should sign up for the new 60 Day Challenge. Are you getting enough sleep? Or could it be nutritional? Remember in '05 when I was anemic, it wreaked havoc on my system. I was training with J, and making progress, and suddenly, I start losing strength, energy, and motivation, and that was frustrating and depressing. I didn't want to do any recovery workouts. I just wanted to work out harder to make myself stronger, but the only way to recover was to meet my nutritional requirements and give it time.

I think that my "freaking out" last week has been due to the building stress of my current employment and financial situation. It was totally affecting my attitude towards training, and thus my level of training. After sorting my thoughts out, and adjusting my training, I felt very refreshed. Perhaps you need to look completely outside of the training aspect of your life to find the source of your frustration. People react to stress in interesting ways. I don't laugh, and I get very tense (physically) and tire myself out from being tense all the time. Are you doing something like that? That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps. Take care of yourself!!!!

2 comments:

madison said...

Thanks K-Smash... I know that part of the issue is about not having good balance in my life. When I was training hard and really seeing results a year ago, my work life was a mess and home life was non-existent. Now that my work life is more stable and my home life is slowly becoming more ordered, my physical and social side of my life seems to be shutting down. I will be looking into taking a trapeze class (starting in the next couple weeks I hope). It's hard to stay easy with all of this and just accept the changes or non-changes as they happen. I'll hang in there and keep you posted. I think in a funny way we are experiencing opposite sides of the same coin...My friend told me to remember that "the universe will not betray you." I have to trust that now...

amber said...

don't let your head talk you into that. Even a less-than balls-to-the-wall workout is still a workout. And you still need complete rest days. If you must do something on your rest day, perhaps yoga and/or a brisk walk would do the trick.