Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My oars are idiotic

Today was a good day. This afternoon I went to the track and did 10 x 100 m sprints. I didn't let myself rest nearly as much as I did before. I did two sets of 5, with a short water break in the middle.

Then this evening, I went rowing. This time I decided to select a pair of oars that had the collar closer to the boat, and thus a longer lever arm...all that's important about this is that the oars I picked made the load heavier. It was a little more challenging to row, though not straining or difficult in any way. The air temperature and humidity were absolutely perfect, and the water was as smooth as glass. I had a GREAT row.

Here's where it gets funny. I found this quite amusing. I was putting my oars away in the boathouse, when this woman with a British accent starts talking to me.
British Woman: "How did you like the collar set that way?"
Me: "Very well. It felt good."
BW: "How old are you?"
Me: "30"
BW: "Well, as a very experienced rower, who's been rowing for 34 years, I will tell you that those oars are idiotic."
Me: "Oh?"
BW: "Well, come on. It's a simple lesson in physics. You want to take advantage of the lever. You don't want to feel like you are tugging every time you row."
Me: "Oh, OK. Thanks."
BW: "Fix that collar next time."

Wow. I don't think she was trying to be friendly. I tried to be respectful, especially since she's experienced. I figure people who have been doing something longer than me deserve some respect, even if I disagree. Anyway, I liked the way these oars felt, and it was one of my best rows so far. I felt much more in control of the boat. I still intend to experiment with different oars, but I will say that oars with less load feel like air to me. Sometimes that's OK, but sometimes I want to feel my muscles working more. Anyway, I found the whole exchange very amusing.

Alrighty, girls! Have a good night! Be strong!

4 comments:

Tough Chick said...

Good job on the sprints. You must be increasing your capacity for endurance .
I think the rowing thing is funny. Even after you told her that you liked the way they were set, she felt the need to put your method down. HA! Some people are clearly not as inclinded to challenge themselves. I am glad that you are still rowing and love it so much. Keep up the good work!

madison said...

Just had to add there is an interesting cultural thing, american versus european aesthetic---rather than going for form/ease of execution, you are going for resistance and development of strength. I've read a lot of different cultural critiques that touch upon this difference usually favoring one, usually european sophistication, over the other, american "brute" strength. Welcome to Texas, baby! Sounds like you're starting to fit right in!!

amber said...

Funny. You should have grabbed her bicep, and been like "well, you could probably use a bigger load yourself, lady"

I'm glad you like rowing. I'm still jealous.

K-Smash said...

OMG, burpees, you crack me up!!! :D