Saturday, September 23, 2006

Triumphant Day

I went to a free community workout given by Crossfit Central. They are having a big fundraiser workout next week to raise money for prostrate cancer research, so today's workout was a practice for next week. Next week they are doing Crossfit's "Fight Gone Bad" workout.

So we had five stations, and we spent about 5 minutes at each station, rotating within our small group and getting coached on technique.

Stations:
1. Rowing on the Concept II rowing machine
2. Box jumps
3. Push presses
4. Sumo deadlift highpulls
5. Wall ball

First station was a nice warm up - I need to learn to go faster on the machines though. I did 3 x 1 min on an ~18 inch box for the box jumps. Felt good. Third station was push presses with Olympic bars. I did my first minute interval with 55 lbs. Then in the second and third minutes, another lady and I traded on and off with the 45 lb bar. One of the coaches pointed out that I stopped doing push presses and started doing military presses with the 45 lb bar.
Highpulls were very challenging for me, as I haven't done those before with the bar, and I had this fear of smashing the bar into my knees...I'm sure I'll be better at it next time I try it. Wall ball was OK. I was tired by that point. This workout actually made me feel very out of shape. I was thinking that I really had to step my training up a notch.

After the Crossfit workout was over, I headed down to Town Lake to go rowing. I almost didn't go because of the weather, but I decided to go see how the water looked. It looked fine, a little choppy, but not bad, so I went out for a little over an hour.

So why, if I felt out of shape, was this day triumphant? This morning when I got up, I was very, very close to wimping out and not going to Crossfit...and if I hadn't gone to Crossfit, I probably wouldn't have gone rowing either, because the weather looked iffy...but I told myself "no excuses!," got my butt out the door and got both workouts done, and now I can enjoy the rest of this beautiful day!

Oh yeah, and I did three sets of pushups before I hit the shower! Alrighty ladies, be strong!!!

4 comments:

madison said...

Good for you, K-smash! Show up and fitness will follow!

Tough Chick said...

Good follow through. I am glad that you did not let excuses keep you from two great workouts. So, were your oars idiotic????

K-Smash said...

No, my oars were not idiotic this time, but honestly, I didn't like the feel as much as I liked the idiotic oars. I think next time I'm going idiotic again. :D

amber said...

That crossfit workout sounds great! I do some of their workouts for Power60, and do them on my own when I need a change of pace. Its a nice change to charge through a prescribed workout AFAP, with total workout time only being 15 or 20 minutes. Gets you wasted in a new way.