Saturday, September 02, 2006

Kickin' it with kettlebells

So Steve and I are having a great time hanging out with Chad and Nancy! Its so fun! Nancy looks great! We even could see the baby kicking when we were sitting around talking!

So last night, Chad and I went to the kettlebell school here that I found. We showed up and there was only one student there. Apparently the place is really a Wing Chun Kung Fu school, and the kettlebells, clubbells, and Olympic lifting are a smaller part of the school. Its really casual too - the owner had family plans last night, so students were just showing up to work out on their own. So the one cool student, Chad, and I ended up doing a workout together. We did a card deck (because Chad ALWAYS has a deck of cards with him). We did KB swings, cleans, presses, and d-ball slams.

So what did I discover? I am out of shape!!!!!!!!!! OK, not really. What I really discovered is that I have gotten stronger in some areas, and much weaker in other areas. I need some kettlebells. I mean, I really NEED some kettlebells now!! I've decided that I am going to buy one adjustable KB from US Kettlebells in Rockford (http://www.uskettlebells.com/)...thus I can pick it up on my way back for the wedding, and save on shipping costs. Now I need to break the news to DH that I am going to spend more money....eeeek!!!

(Oh yeah - and I went rowing yesterday for about an hour and a half...not sure what I am going to do today, if anything....my back is super sore from the swings, which I haven't done in two months. I am doing sprints tomorrow morning and rowing tomorrow afternoon...)

4 comments:

madison said...

K-Smash, did Chad give you good feedback on your form with the swings? We should really check that out more during LOB0. Sore butt and hamstrings make sense, but a sore back is a sign of collapsed form. Looking forward to Thursday!!

Tough Chick said...

Glad to hear that you were able to get in some nice kettlebell action and that you were able to see Chad. I think you should definetly buy at least one so that you dont lose any more strength. I agree with BBG on the swings.

K-Smash said...

I think my form was pretty good, but I would love for you to look at my form on Thursday! Swings and deadlifts are usually my best moves. I was also sore in the hammys and glutes, just not as sore as the lower back. Anyway, I picked up the weight I left off with for the swings, and while I could do them, it was far too much for a card deck at this point.

Its hard to describe, but it was the same soreness I would get when Jessie started training me on swings. It might have also been the d-ball slams - that was a new move for me. I think that as I got more tired, I wasn't dropping my butt as much as I should've been on the slams. I think I started bending forward to pick the ball up.

It was a good workout. I felt good and wasted, although towards the end I felt like I was going to puke. It was fricking hot out.

Oh yeah, I want you to check my form on pushups too...I think I know what I am doing wrong, but lately I've felt too hot and tired to care. :(

amber said...

Lifeline is going to start selling KB's. So Jon is planning on selling the KB's we have already, and replacing them with new Lifeline ones. Might chat with him about pricing when you're in town.