Monday, September 25, 2006

Sunshine and Green Tea

Had a terrific week last week, and Saturday was awesome. FIT workout---all different variations on burpees. Taught yoga, then went to a Kari Tomashik HEY workshop for the afternoon. She is such a wonderful teacher, and I always learn so much at her workshops. I was toasted from my workout in the morning, but it was still good for me to work with the poses, and with my own issues around form. I really feel the need, more than ever, to get back to the Thursday night class at Mound Street. I'll also say that my hips are still sore---I always end up finding muscles that are not used when I take an intense HEY class. I had thought I had made a lot of progress with my hips, and Kari said I had made progress when she looked at my back, but I still have a lot of instability and underactivation, especially along the outer hamstring. Of course, my feet and ankles are another story. HEY is such a humbling practice. I can only come away from poses like side warrior feeling like my feet and ankles are an abomination.

Let's see. Took Sunday off. Made a yummy soup---creamy garlic with one bag of dried white northern beans, covered with boiling water in the crock pot, one whole bulb of garlic, cloves peeled and put in the soup whole, 2 teaspoons of tarragon, and salt. I set it on low and left if for 5 hours. I mashed the soup a little with a potato masher. I'm loving it!

3 comments:

Tough Chick said...

Thanks again for letting me shadow your yoga class. It reminds me that one can never do enough yoga. I am glad that you enjoyed your workshop!

K-Smash said...

That soup sounds very yummy!

I really wish that there were HEY people here to practice with. I don't feel like I know enough to effectively practice on my own. :(

What are the different variations of the burpee? I could see doing it with a med ball or adding a pushup to it. What else?

amber said...

BBG let me know if you go to the Thurs. class on Mound, I want to go but I'm a little nervous to do it on my own!

K-smash, Burpee variations:
donkey kick (instead of pushup, kick feet up into the air)
wall burpee (put feet behind you onto wall)
side to side (jump over a hurdle, do burpee on both sides)
laterals (go to a side-thinker type position, instead of a pushup)
reverse (same as deck squat)
reverse (down position is like a dip, with feet in front of you and hands on box)

here's a site that has a video and many other videos of cool bodyweight exercises too:
www.bodyweightculture.com
(you do have to register to see the videos I think)