Thursday, June 14, 2007

Need a massage...

Had a good workout yesterday afternoon... Because my shoulders are still sore from the sit outs, I did down dog push-ups instead of hindus, 90 degree chin ups, and jumped rope (200 forward and backward) instead of running around the gym (this wasn't because of shoulder stuff, but because I had ridden my bike to the gym and needed to safe some energy for the ride home). I got through three sets of 20 reps in 30 minutes.

I know I need to start taking the time to make good, healthy, delicious meals for myself. But instead of doing that, I went home and took the healthy but easy route. As I result, I had a smoothie for dinner. Not just any smoothie, but something I would have thought up to sicken myself 10 years ago... Soy milk, blue berries, kale, and flax seed. Oh, and my blender is old, so I had big chunks of kale sort of globbed together. God help me. It tasted good. But I know that if I ate something like that everyday, I would start to feel like I was being punished. Why? Maybe I have some sort of health food prejudice that I need to get over.

This morning I made it to the 7:30 FIT. It was an endurance workout: 60 sec. on, 30 sec. rest. 4 times through 4 exercises: chest pass, swings, swimmers, and box step ups. I used a 24 k for the first two sets of swings and 16 k for the last two. I used a 3 k medicine ball for 2 sets and a 4 k for two sets of chest pass. Yellow cables for two sets of swimmers and maroon for two sets. Big green box for step ups. We did core: 30 sec. on 15 sec. rest (2x through for me, I think they went 4 times through but I left early). Plank, side-plank (right and left) and supine thinker. Tonight I finally get a massage! Carpe Diem!

2 comments:

amber said...

I love that smoothie you described. Except I have yet to find kale in this town. Odd, isn't it? I can get collard greens, mustard greens, but no kale. I still have a couple more stores to check though . . .

Massages will definitely be something that I treat myself with once I have enough budget for it (so not for awhile, but someday!)

madison said...

I can't say enough good things about it. I realized a year and a half ago, that when I have physical soreness, it brings up a lot of emotional pain as well. And then training slows down, and nutrition gets bad, and so on. Massage is a way of addressing the problem directly without getting all caught up in the triggered emotional drama. And it helps me sleep really well. I love that I've seen the same therapist for a while, and that she is familiar with the MBG style of training and she is so strong!