Monday, February 12, 2007

Too much of a good thing...

I DID go swimming, finally, and it was wonderful. I think the last time I had been swimming was about 10 years ago. I felt good! I'm not super fast, I don't know how to do the flip turns, but I felt like I got a good workout, and I did a lot better and went a lot faster than I ever did before, which I attribute to much more strength in my arms, shoulders, and back. Then I went for an easy 5 mile run last night, in celebration of the temperature moving up into a balmy enough range for snow to fall. It felt great. This morning, I'm dealing with some sore muscles, especially in my legs from the flutter kicking, which I worked on for a while. Anyway, I'm planning to sign up for a class the next time it's offered so that I can learn how to do flip turns. I realize that in the past I didn't have a sense of how intense I need to make my workouts so that I could progress. Now that I do, I'm looking forward to seeing how hard I can go with the swimming/running combination for a while. I think I will need to start doing HEY with more discipline, just to prevent overuse injuries. Keep movin!

3 comments:

amber said...

I'm glad you enjoy swimming! Your post makes me want to try it again, although I know I don't enjoy it. I can't breathe right while I'm swimming, never have been able to. Taking a class would be fun, but if you play around a bit with the turn, you may find you don't need a class to learn it:

http://swimming.about.com/cs/techniquetips/a/flipturn_2.htm

K-Smash said...

Your swim sounds great! Lessons would be super cool...I signed up to take adult swim lessons this summer, and the class was canceling because of low enrollment. :(

If you are interested, there is a female triathletes club in WI for all levels. They do swim, run, and bike workouts together regularly. A friend of mine from college was in it, and she really liked the group. http://www.tribabes.com/

madison said...

Thanks K-smash, I'll check it out! I also appreciate the push to practice those turns on my own. Why be chicken about it? Thanks for link to learn more Burpee-girl. I'll look at that too. You inspire me!