Monday, February 05, 2007

when do i get to be strong?

So everyone's posting their incredible feats, and I only have mediocre workouts that don't hold a candle to my standard workouts. Today my shoulder felt twingy when I did clean warmups, so I skipped the written workout and did my own version:

5 minutes of pushups (did 30 down dog and 40 regular)
2 minutes of jump rope
5 minutes of pulling (did 40 assisted chins and 30 body rows)
2 minutes of box steps
5 minutes of one leg squats (did 35 on each side)
2 minutes of jump rope
5 minutes of leg extensions (did 30 one leg deadlifts and 40 swings with 28k)
2 minutes box steps

It was a good workout, and at the end I felt exhausted. Nothing felt strong throughout. I guess its just one of those days. As T put it "there's no records you're trying to break today." But I wish I felt like my strength was at least at its AVERAGE; its lower than its been in awhile. When am I going to feel strong again?

On a side note, after I tutor my renal students tonight, I will be doing a short run (indoors). Probably 2 or 3 miles, perhaps with some pushups thrown in at 1/4 mile intervals. I need to grease the groove with those pushups if I'm ever going to keep pace with you ladies :)

3 comments:

K-Smash said...

Hey! Give yourself some credit! You're disappointed you're not at your standard workout level - but look what you've done and accomplished in the last couple months. All that traveling, working, interviewing, etc., IS quite an accomplishment! How many of us can say that we've done that???

That looks like a GREAT workout for "coming back". Actually, it sounds like a good workout to try, period. Very nice! Hmmm....got me thinking about 1-leg squats! I haven't done those in a long time, so I probably stink at them right now :D

Anyway, I do understand your frustration. I think I mentioned this when responding to BBG a little while ago...when I was training with J, I was making a lot of progress pretty fast. Then all of the sudden I started regressing. I felt like I was overtrained all the time. Turned out I was anemic. It took months to recover from that and that was beyond frustrating. I know the feeling. It stinks. You'll get through it, you'll get back to where you were, and then you'll get stronger than you were before because you'll be so freakin' happy about feeling strong again and you'll feel renewed and inspired. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)
Climb the mountain!

amber said...

Thanks, that was nice to hear. I know that I've done a lot of accomplishing lately, but I just wish I hadn't slipped so far in my fitness! As an intern next year, it's going to be impossible to work out as hard as I'd like, but I need to start figuring out how to fit it into my life . . .

At any rate, I need to start focusing on the positives, and you're right, I will eventually get stronger. It just might take awhile!

madison said...

I want to add in---finding balance---over-correcting after things get too weighted toward training or too weighted toward career/work is HARD!! I'm getting better at giving myself a break and remembering the big picture, but I feel what you're saying Burpees. I even thought it when you were on the road. I felt so happy for you that you were getting the chance to interview and apply at all those terrific places, BUT the down side to that is that it's not the healthy supportive routine anyone needs to sustain and build good fitness. You'll get back to where you want to be, it will feel good soon, and you will have learned something important about what you need in order to adjust to the changes your life will be bringing in the future!