Saturday, February 10, 2007

You are a weird bug

So today was pretty good. I worked out a bit with Adam at Crossfit Austin this morning. We did some HEY and then we ran through a circuit of JR 100f/100b, 15 divebombers, 30 burpees, 15 body rows, 400m run, PW crawl.It was a nice circuit - definitely worth running through 3-5 times sometime. He really knows his stuff, so it was pretty cool to hear his analysis of HEY and his comparisons to Egoscue and Pilates stuff.

Tonight SIL came over to work out. I taught her how to do cleans, and she picked it up fast. She looked great. She used a 10 lb sandbag, and I used 2x12kg KBs, and we did 45 clean-squat-press together. We broke it down into sets of 13, 10, 10, 12, and between each set, we did prone mountain. Afterwards we did touchdowns (which she renamed to pussy cats, because she was doing them without weight and felt like a cat playing the way she was touching her hands down on either side), sit-up-and-reach, and incline plane. I was really pumped up because SIL did so well. She has gone from saying, "I don't want to die" during the workout to "COME ON, SLACKER!!!" when I started to slow down. Very cool. :)

Yesterdays workout was 1000 m on the Concept II rower, 50 thrusters with 45lb bar, and 50 jump chins. It felt OK yesterday...intense, but not too taxing...but today my calves are killing me! I can't even stand up on my toes.

As for weather...a cold front came through, so we're back to our wimpy Texas winter...not cold enough to be a real winter, not warm enough to be pleasant. Oh well. I still see freaks walking around in parkas and earmuffs.

So I was talking to my Mom on the phone today, and I told her that I felt odd, but not quite sick, but that I thought perhaps I just caught a weird bug. Her response: "You are a weird bug."

Alright...be strong!

4 comments:

madison said...

Yes, I would agree, but you DID know that already, right?

madison said...

Hey, sounds like you have really cultivated a good community of support around your fitness since your move... Congratulations on that. Also, have you been doing anything with rowing? Is that over for the season?

amber said...

I'm glad the workout with Adam went well. I liked the circuit you put together; the 30 burpees was too much for one set, and I took it down to 20. Otherwise it was great.

I love hearing all the progress by the SIL. Keep up the good work!

K-Smash said...

My rowing has been on hiatus due to crappy weather. I haven't wanted to go on the water when its been below 50 degrees, or when its raining. I'm not going to renew my membership until our financial situation isn't so bleak either...but once in a while we do indoor rowing at Crossfit, so I'll do that once in a while. Rowing was a lot of fun, and very relaxing, but I wasn't technically good enough for it to be a great workout. The other day when I rowed 1000 meters on the Concept II machine, I could start to feel it in my hamstrings by the end. I'd like to do more rowing, but then, I would like to do more of everything.