Thursday, August 24, 2006

More fun on the water

So yesterday was my first rowing lesson, and this morning I had my second lesson. After my lesson yesterday, I spent 20 minutes on the Concept 2 rowing machine, and another 15 minutes on the dock trainer, trying to teach my body to do the movements without so much thinking. Yesterday, I also did 30 clean>squat>press with 50lbs, and two sets of 60 situps. During yesterday's rowing lesson, I was pretty awkward and had to keep thinking about what I was doing. Today I was much, much better, and after watching a video about rowing safety and rowing accidents, I actually spent two hours on the water! I love it! I mean, I really LOVE it!!!! Why haven't I ever tried this before????? So after two hours on the water today, I took a half-hour break, ate an energy bar (Nature's Path Rebound - pretty yummy) and then went for a 4 mile run. All this in the morning! What a great way to start the day!

So I had been planning to run sprints this morning, but when I got to the track, there was a very, very large herd of very, very fast running men on the track, and I didn't want any part of that scene! So I walked across the street to the boathouse to see if I could start my lesson early, which I did. I may either try to do sprints tomorrow morning, before my third lesson, or I'll do them sometime this weekend.

Nutrition is decent...I think. This morning I has a glass of OJ and a Luna bar before heading out. Then during a break in my rowing, I had a nectarine...and before running a Rebound bar. I don't usually eat that many bars, but I was in a rush this morning, and the Rebound bar was portable. After running I had an apple and a turkey sandwich on Ezekial break with tomato, avocado, and spinach. Tonight we're going to have this super yummy stir fry - the East Indian one with tofu, green beans, mushrooms, onions, and lots and lots of spices. Its SOOOOOO good! I'll have to post the recipe later...

Well, ladies have a GREAT afternoon! Be strong!

2 comments:

madison said...

Hey K-Smash!!! I'm so happy you have found a sport that is new, exciting and involves having a team experience. That will definitely be fun, especially during winter! Walking swings are surprisingly easy... Start in typical swing position, pop hips for the first swing, then at the apex of the swing when the bell is unweighted, take 2 steps forward into the start position for the next swing. If your bell is too light, you'll be able to take really big steps forward. If it's heavy, you'll be taking small steps. Be sure to alternate right-left, left-right so that you don't over train one side. Try it with a lighter weight than you would usually use first. That is why I used the 32s. I know I can swing 40, but wanted to get comfortable with my form because obviously there isn't much room to maneuver if you step too far forward or if you fail to really pop the swing and you move when the bell is unweighted... give it a go!!

K-Smash said...

I wish I could - but I don't have KBs yet! All I have are my sandbags, which I can't do swings with. :( I'll try it next time I come to the gym...or next time I have some KBs to play with...