Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How much does lack of sleep really affect you?

Today's workout:

8 x 320 m run (run a lap, rest, run a lap, rest, etc...)

75 burpees

75 pushups

25 burpees

4x 30 situps


I was able to run fast, burn through the burpees pretty fast, and did all 75 pushups with decent form. However, the pushups took me a loooooooong time. I went to bed about 11 last night and got up at 3 this morning to see my Dad off. I haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately, and I haven't been eating normally because of my Dad visiting.

Do you guys find that even though you feel good, a minor lack of sleep, or change in diet has a noticeable impact on your workouts? I know we talk about this stuff all the time, but aside from being slightly tired, I felt pretty darn good, so the pushup segment of the workout really surprised me.

Be strong!

2 comments:

amber said...

My sleep pattern TOTALLY affects my workouts! This morning, I got to bed at 4am (my flight was delayed) and even working out in the early afternoon, I felt so sluggish.

Any deviation from your typical diet will affect your energy a bit too, but not as much as sleep. The other thing to think about is your hard barbell workout Monday, and what it may have done to your arms. That may have made pushups more tiring.

madison said...

I agree with burpees. I had a good workout Monday, slept only 5 hours that night. Did the morning workout Tuesday (felt good). Had regular sleep and nutrition, but Wednesday was totally wiped out. Sleep is magic.