Monday, April 16, 2007

I love Mondays

Life must be good. Overall, in spite of the stress of trying to accomplish what I can in life, I think I'm pretty happy. I actually look forward to Monday mornings. I love my weekends, and my weeks. :)

This morning we did a fun barbell workout. I really enjoyed it.

We did a 5x5 of:
1. high pulls
2. muscle snatches
3. thrusters
4. good mornings

I worked with two guys, and we used 65lbs and burned through the workout in decent time. We each did a full round of high pulls through good mornings before the next person went. I think it was just the right pace and weight for me, because on the fifth snatch in the fifth round, I failed and had to rest for a bit before I tried it again.

After that, we all ran a mile. :)

4 comments:

madison said...

Sweet! Sounds like your engine is really burning like you've become used to! I don't know what those exercises are, but it sounds like a great workout.

K-Smash said...

These were all done with a barbell. I think you can see videos of most of them on the Crossfit website.

Here's a rough, quick description of each:

High pulls...feet are hip width apart; barbell is held with wide grip. Dip the barbell down to about mid-thigh and pull it up to about neck level, with high elbows; extension occurs at the ankle, knee, and hips.

Muscle snatches - hard to describe. Its almost like a smooth clean and press, but the barbell starts about mid-thigh, then around neck level you flip your elbows from over to under the bar, and then press it up overhead.

Thrusters - squat and press. We brought the weight down behind the head on each rep today. Sometimes we bring the weight down in front.

Good mornings - barbell is resting on the back - near the tops of the shoulder blades. Flex forward as in doing a deadlift.

These are pretty bad descriptions, but I think good enough for you to picture the workout. :)

madison said...

They're good descriptions. I can picture what you are saying. Thanks!

amber said...

your posts sound happier. I'm not sure what happened in the past couple of weeks to turn your mood around, but I'd keep it up! You sound back to your old self. (I bet the days off and the allowing yourself some indulgences helps a bit).